Students tie dye shirts to support TOMS movement on campus

Madison Heights freshman Jesicalyn Stoddard said blending colors to create a tie dye shirt on campus symbolizes the TOMS movement world-wide.

“There’s so many people on campus that have something to give,” she said. “Things like this get people involved.”

Stoddard said she loves TOMS shoes and saw the chalk advertisements on campus and decided to stop by and support.

Pennsylvania senior and public relations chair Ashleigh Tweedie said the Registered Student Organization is making an effort to get the word out on campus and raise money by tie-dyeing T-shirts for $5. From noon to 3 p.m., students gathered in front of the Bovee University Center to create their shirt and donate money to the organization. Participants were also included in a raffle for B.o.B tickets.

At 1 p.m., about $250 was raised towards their goal of $1,000. The funds donated helps the “Style Your Soles” movement, where Central Michigan University students decorate children-size white TOMS. THe RSO member Hannah Plourde said it’s more than just a charity.

“We are participating in a world-wide movement,” the Shelby Township senior said. “It goes to kids in need.”

Even though the children affected by the “Style Your Soles” movement aren’t neccesiarly in poverty, they are in need of someone to put a smile on their face, even by a pair of shoes, she said.

Allen Park senior Patrick Kaneko, an executive board member of the organization, said the RSO started in 2009. It also organizes a benefit concert in spring, “Rock Your TOMS Off” and a canned food drive to raise funds towards the “Style Your Soles” movement.

“I wanted to be more involved on campus and this was a great organization to be a part of,” he said. “Everyone has a positive attitude.”

According to its website, the TOMS movement started in 2006 by American traveler Blake Mycoskie who found the need to start an organiaztion for children in Argentina had no shoes to protect their feet. The company’s movement, “One for one,” matches every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of shoes given to a children in developing countries who are at risk. Many children are without shoes and develop soil-transmitted diseases and cannot attend school because they don’t have shoes.