University investigation temporarily suspends club hockey team

An ongoing investigation involving the men's club hockey team by the Office of Student Life has led to the cancellation of its first two games of the season.

"They are temporarily suspended pending a university investigation and until the investigation is complete, they will remain suspended," Assistant Director of Student Life Tom Idema said. "The investigation is according to the code of conduct."

CMU was scheduled to open its season Friday and Saturday with games at University of Michigan Dearborn Ice Arena.

"This is in the student-athlete's hands," head coach Michael Willett said before directing Central Michigan Life to team captain Ricky Jones.

Jones confirmed the cancellation of the first two games, but chose not to comment at this point in the investigation.

Club hockey is one of 42 club sports listed as registered student organizations through the Office of Student Life at CMU.

An RSO can lose its status if an organization has outstanding university debt, fails to follow its constitution or due to campus conduct issues, according to the RSO manual.

The team made its name known among Division II teams in 2011 when it reached the ACHA National Tournament in San Jose, Calif., finishing third in Pool C.

CMU ended its 2011-12 season following a loss to Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville in the opening round of the regional tournament.

Continue to follow cm-life.com for more information.