CM Life named best collegiate paper in Michigan for ninth time in 11 years

Central Michigan Life has been named the best collegiate newspaper in Michigan for the ninth time in the last 11 years.

The paper’s General Excellence designation by the Michigan Press Association in Division 1 for 2012 demonstrates overall excellence in writing, design, photography, editorial leadership and advertising.

“To be held in such high regard by out-of-state professional newspaper judges validates the consistency of CM Life’s performance over the years,” said Neil Hopp, director of student media. “Student journalists entered 18 individual award categories this year and earned 11 honors.”

Along with the general excellence award, CM Life won 10 other individual awards in a variety of categories.

“What is particularly gratifying are the first-place awards for investigative reporting and multimedia reporting,” Hopp said.

In all, CM Life was awarded three first place awards for multimedia reporting, investigative story and sports news/features. The paper also received three second-place awards, two third-place awards and two honorable mentions.

"That just proves our commitment to excellence and always striving for the full story," said Eric Dresden, CM Life Editor-in-Chief and Merrill senior. "When we are all together, we look at providing the best news constantly."

South Lyon junior and CM Life University News Editor Catey Traylor was part of the team that won a first-place award for investigative reporting on CMU's transparency about spending $10 million on the Events Center.

"It was my first semester as a senior reporter and that was one of the first really big stories I did. A whole bunch of news broke after that and it was really cool to be involved," Traylor said. "The fact that we won an award for it speaks volumes about our staff and the commitment of everybody involved."

CM Life Managing Editor and Redford senior Aaron McMann said he was surprised he was able to get two awards from the MCPA and was happy to be recognized.

CM Life's editorial awards include first-place investigative story by Catey Traylor, Justin Hicks, Lonnie Allen, Aaron McMann and Eric Dresden; honorable mention investigative story by Matt Thompson; first-place sports news/features by Matt Thompson; second-place sports news/features by Seth Newman; first-place multimedia reporting by Jackie Smith, Adam Kaminski, Matt Thompson, Ben Harris, Mike Nichols and Annie Harrison; second-place multimedia reporting by Mike Nichols; third-place feature story by Connor Sheridan and third-place editorial by Aaron McMann, Mike Nichols, Connor Sheridan and Eric Dresden.

CM Life's design awards include a second place in front-page design by Amelia Eramya.

CM Life also received an honorable mention for an original cartoon by Kim Patishnock.