Heeke still 'very supportive' of Enos building a program

A day after the Associated Press had a story listing Dan Enos as one of 10 college football coaches on the hot seat, athletics director Dave Heeke supported his head coach.

The story by Ralph Russo of AP pointed out that Central Michigan got accustomed to winning the Mid-American Conference under former coaches Butch Jones and Brian Kelly, but Enos has eight wins — three of which are against Football Championship Subdivision teams — in three seasons.

"We are very supportive of Enos and his staff and the process of building a program up," Heeke said. "We see steps that they are taking that sometimes are hard for the public to see."

Enos went 3-9 in his first two seasons as CMU head coach and is 2-5 to begin this season, losing four-straight games.

Enos said Tuesday after practice he is not feeling any pressure and thinks that his team has shown improvement.

Last February, Heeke showed his support for Enos by giving him a one-year extension through the 2015 season, declaring the program was "all-in" with Enos and his staff.

“We are all-in with Dan Enos and his strong vision for and dedication to rebuilding this program into a perennial championship contender that has a foundation for sustainable success," Heeke said in a statement after the extension. "Continuity, stability, and commitment are the critical qualities needed at this point to define the next chapter of Chippewa Football success."

With five games remaining, Enos and the Chippewas will try to show improvements in the win column against Akron, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Miami and Massachusetts. CMU has lost four-straight games after upsetting Iowa in the third game of the season.

The head coach is looking for his fifth Mid-American Conference win at 3:30 p.m. Saturday against Akron at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

"We're very supportive of coach Enos and the players, and are excited to see the rest of the season," Heeke said.