Mount Pleasant man arrested after fleeing from officer

A 30 year-old Mount Pleasant man is jailed after police found a stolen handgun and marijuana in his possession.

According to a news release from the Michigan State Police, at 11:30 p.m. Saturday a trooper from the Mount Pleasant Post was attempting to contact the suspect, who's name has not been released, on an unrelated incident.

The suspect was charged on six counts, including carrying a concealed weapon, fire-arm possession by a felon, fleeing from a police officer, the delivery and manufacturing of marijuana, felony firearm and resisting and obstructing a police officer.

Mount Pleasant Police Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson said when police were headed to his home to find him, they passed him driving down the street.

The suspect's vehicle were stopped on Thomas Street at North Street in Mount Pleasant. The suspect got half way out of his vehicle, yelled at the trooper, got back into his vehicle and attempted to flee.

About two blocks later the suspect came to a stop, got out of his vehicle and attempted to flee on foot, but was quickly arrested by the trooper.

Upon investigation, police found a stolen handgun, suspected marijuana and several .357 rounds inside the vehicle.

“The handgun is related to one of our cases that is several months old,” Thompson said.

Michigan State Police Sgt. Sumpter said the suspect and the stolen handgun are not related to the other string of larceny incidents that have occurred throughout Mount Pleasant.

The suspect is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail. Thompson said the suspect would likely be arraigned Tuesday.