Mount Pleasant police believe recent string of larcenies are related

Mount Pleasant has been experiencing higher than average vehicle larceny break-ins, police say.

Mount Pleasant Police Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson said over the last two weeks the department has received 18 reported incidents they believe could be linked.

“We always have larcenies from automobiles here or there, once or twice a week,” Thompson said. “With this many in the area we have to believe that they’re related.”

Thompson said items being stolen are anything of value, including purses, wallets, cell phones and global positioning systems.

“Anything from a couple bucks to several hundred dollars,” he said.

Thompson said suspects have been checking cars for unlocked door handles and even throwing rocks through windows at night to break into vehicles.

The majority of the larcenies have occurred in the south end of Mount Pleasant, but Thompson said Central Michigan University’s campus also has received higher than average larceny cases.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said over the past month his department has received seven cases, two in Shepherd and five throughout Mount Pleasant.

Although slightly higher than normal, Mioduszewski said the number isn’t too unusual.

“One or two cars a month on average,” he said. “It’s not that alarming of a rate.”

He said the majority of the break-ins his department is seeing are not damage-related, but people checking unlocked doors to look for anything of value inside the vehicle.

Mioduszewski encourages people to lock car doors and to keep valuable items out of sight by hiding them in car trunks or under a blanket in backseat.