Offensive tackle Jake Olson likely out for season, Jerry Harris injury lingers

Starting senior offensive tackle Jake Olson will likely be out for the rest of the season with a leg injury head coach Dan Enos said.

This news comes two weeks after the Central Michigan coach said he would probably return within a few weeks.

"He had a set back, so I don't anticipate him playing this year," Enos said.

Olson went down early in the game against Michigan State on Sept. 8.

A Buffalo Bills scout during the Toledo game said he was looking at Olson and wanted to know when he may return. Even with the injury, NFLdraftscout.com has him listed the 47th–best offensive tackle for the draft next spring.

It is possible, if Olson would like to, that he could apply to the NCAA for a medical redshirt season and be granted another year of eligibility. Defensive back Taylor Bradley was given one, allowing him to play his second senior season.

The 6-foot-8, 300-pound lineman from Wisconsin has started all 28 games he has been healthy for in his career, though he has missed time over the past three seasons with injuries.

Senior wide receiver Jerry Harris was practicing during the week of preparation for the Toledo game Oct. 6, but Enos said the recovery is taking longer than expected.

"He's still injured," Enos said. "He's trying to come back, but it's been slow. I don't know about Jerry, if he would have chance (to return this season), I would say he would — but it's been slow. He's trying."

Harris came into the season with 598 career receiving yards and five touchdowns, though he has failed to record a reception thus far.

Defensive end Alex Smith is expected to be held out again Saturday, still recovering from an injury he sustained against MSU.

CMU (2-4) faces Ball State (4-3) for the homecoming game at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.