Rocky Horror Picture Show at Broadway sells out through weekend

Rcky

Port Huron Senior Chris Birtch as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, left, stands arm and arm with Riverview Junior Chris Krause as Rocky Horror, right, during the CMU drama department's performance of 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' at the Broadway Theatre on Friday, October 26, 2012.

Yelling quotes and lines during a movie in a theater is usually a just cause for being kicked out.

But it’s encouraged at the Rocky Horror Picture Show, held every October at Broadway Theater, 216 E. Broadway St. The show was performed four times by the Alpha Psi Omega co-ed fraternity from Friday to Saturday, with showings at 8 p.m. and midnight.

Each show began with a brief costume contest. The audience voted, with loud applause, for the sexiest male, sexiest female and most creative costumes. Then, the audience voted on the best "Rocky Horror Picture Show" costumes, based on characters from the 1975 film.

Samantha Taylor, a Mayville graduate student and participant in the show, said the show sold out all four shows.

“It’s kind of like Christmas for me,” Taylor said. “I get real excited for it. You feel like a rock star up there in front of the audience.”

Taylor has been affiliated with the show for four years and had mixed feelings about it being her last year in the show.

“Last night, after we performed, I felt happy about the performance, but I also felt a little sad because it’s my last one,” Taylor said.

Taylor said she thinks the event attracts such a large draw from the community because it allows people to be different.

“You get to be something you’re not,” Taylor said about the different costumes in the audience and attitude of the audience during the show.

APO has put on the show for more than 30 years, and students unaffiliated with APO also help out.

The sexual themes and vulgar comments from the audience during the show weren’t what Bellaire freshman Morgan Ritt expected.

“It was a little crazy,” Ritt said. “I didn’t expect it to be so outrageous. I thought it was great.”

Jennie Wright, a Mount Pleasant junior, has gone to the show for years.

“I’ve been going since before I was in high school,” Wright said after the 8 p.m. Saturday show. “It wasn’t the best I’ve seen, but a lot of people are involved, and it obviously takes a lot of work.”

Wright said the show is good for an older generation of Halloween participants. She said the crowd participation is her favorite part of the show.

“You get too old to go trick-or-treating, so you go to Rocky Horror,” Wright said. “I like yelling stuff and singing. I also like that I don’t have to turn my phone off.”