16 teams compete in trivia night Wednesday, earn Homecoming points

trivia

Taylor Ballek/ Staff Photographer Team "Larzy" celebrates after getting an answer correct at the Trivia Contest Wednesday night at Finch Fieldhouse during the 2012 Homecoming Week events.

Students participating in Homecoming events this week had the chance to show their smarts Wednesday night in Finch Fieldhouse.

The Homecoming trivia contest drew 16 teams to Finc to participate in the annual event. The contest allowed teams to earn Homecoming points and compete in hopes of winning the Maroon Cup or Golden Goblet competitions.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Will Damian, competition coordinator and Holland senior. “A lot of people were really engaged for a trivia event; there was a lot of cheering.”

Damian volunteered to be the host of the trivia contest.

The trivia contest asked a total of 50 questions throughout the four rounds. Teams had 30 seconds to write answers on their white boards and they weren’t allowed to use any electronic devices for help.

The questions pertained to Central Michigan University’s history with categories such as “Campus Life” and “Ooh ah, you wish you were a Chippewa.”

Among others, one question asked was “when did CMU officially become a university?” The teams were given four different options, and the right answer was 1959.

There were also questions to go with the Homecoming theme; “All that glitters is Chippewa gold.” One of the questions that asked was “what was the first country to adopt gold coins as their currency?” Again, the teams were given four options and the right answer was the Persians.

The contest started with 16 teams and 12 of those teams advanced to round two.

“We had fun and I felt like we knew a lot of the stuff,” a member of the Robinson Hall team and Walled Lake sophomore Liz Eller said.

The Robinson Hall team was one of the four teams eliminated after round one.

“We’re not really in it for the points or to win the cup, we do it for fun,” Eller said.

Throughout the next two rounds, six more teams were eliminated, advancing six teams to the final round. Three of the teams were competing for the Maroon Cup competition and the other three were competing for the Golden Goblet competition.

“We are in second place in the Golden Goblet competition,” Josh Thigpen, freshmen development chair for Kappa Delta Pi and Jenison senior said before the contest. “I’m feeling very confident. It’s only Wednesday, so we can take the lead soon.”

Kappa Delta Pi won the trivia contest for the Golden Goblet division with the Asian Cultural Organization finishing in second.

“We’re going to win Homecoming,” said Mickey Wong, president of ACO and Clinton Township senior. “We’re still number one.”

The ACO has finished in second place in the Golden Goblet competition the past two years, Wong said.

FEW Hall Council won the trivia contest for the Maroon Cup division.

“I’m good at trivia, so I’m very happy that we won,” said Kate Tessier, general member for the council and Grand Rapids junior.

The FEW Hall Council was in fourth place in the Maroon Cup competition before the trivia contest, but they should be in second place now, Tessier said.

Nicki Rowlett was the trivia challenge coordinator.

“I was a little nervous at first because I never planned any of the Homecoming events before and people really get into it,” the Madison Heights senior said. “I’m happy with how it turned out.”