Women’s soccer prepares for Toledo and Northern Illinois

The Central Michigan women’s soccer team wraps up its four–game road trip this weekend when it faces Mid-American Conference opponents Toledo today and Northern Illinois on Sunday.

The Chippewas split the first two games of this road trip beating in–state rival Western Michigan 1-0 to avenge last year’s loss in the MAC tournament. Then CMU traveled to Ypsilanti to face another in-state team Eastern Michigan, but lost 2-0.

CMU will play Toledo today at 4 p.m. – a team they beat in a close match last year 1-0. The Chippewas took 10 of the game's 18 shots,while the Rockets had eight. However, the Rockets are without last year’s senior Kristen Lynn, who accounted for five of Toledo’s eight shots.

Looking to make up for its previous loss, the Chippewas know they have to do a better job of executing on their scoring chances.

“Right now, our biggest flaw is not finishing in the final third of the field," head coach Neil Stafford said. "Missing the cross bar or post by inches isn’t finishing."

Knowing how close last year’s game was, junior defender Estee Outcalt said she realizes how important it will be to closely defend and also maintain possession of the ball.

“I think we're learning now that possession time indicates who’s going to win the game," she said. "We need to create better chances for each other to score.”

Following today’s game against Toledo, the team will play NIU at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. The Chippewas beat the Huskies 1-0 last year, but the game wasn’t  as closely played.

CMU got 18 shots off with seven of them on net, while NIU only got seven shots off, with four landing on net. Outcalt scored the lone goal against the Huskies last season, despite the team's high number of shots. Now, the team looks to strategize for this year’s game.

“We analyze each team and come up with their strengths and weakness," Outcalt said. "At this point, we know it’s going to be a fight for a win each game.”