Around the MAC: Last week of the regular season

With the Mid-American Conference title game already penciled in between Kent State and Northern Illinois, the final week of the season was most important for Central Michigan and its battle for bowl eligibility.

The remaining games were either for better records heading into bowl games or pride and momentum heading into the long offseason.

NIU and KSU will matchup at 7 p.m. on Friday for the MAC Championship at Ford Field. The game will be aired on ESPN2.

Kent State 28, Ohio 6

Two first-quarter defensive touchdowns helped the Golden Flashes (11-1, 8-0 MAC) take a quick 21-0 lead they never looked back from. Kent State averaged more than five yards per rush in a game preparing them for the MAC Championship Friday. Ohio lost four of its final five games to finish 8-4 after a 7-0 start that began with a win over Penn State.

Toledo 35, Akron 23

Underdog Akron built a 10-0 first-quarter lead, only to be torn down by Toledo backup quarterback Austin Dantin. He threw five touchdown passes in the final three quarters to account for all of the Rockets points, racking up 327 passing yards. Toledo improved to 9-3, including 6-2 in conference games. Akron remains the worst team in the MAC at 1-11, winless in conference games.

Ball State 31, Miami (Ohio) 24

The Cardinals (9-3, 6-2 MAC) won their sixth consecutive game to finish the season at 9-3 after a win over Miami. The RedHawks (4-8, 3-5 MAC) continued in the opposite direction, losing six of its final seven games and will stay home this winter. Ball State running back Jahwan Edwards rushed for three touchdowns in the win.

Northern Illinois 49, Eastern Michigan 7

The Huskies, like Kent State, will head to the MAC Championship game with plenty of momentum after crushing the Eagles Saturday. NIU quarterback Jordan Lynch tallied his tenth-straight 100-yard rushing game, adding two passing touchdowns and 175 yards passing. Running back Akeem Daniels had four NIU touchdowns on 12 carries Friday. The Huskies jump to 11-1, undefeated in MAC play, while EMU slipped to 2-10, including 1-7 in conference play.

Bowling Green 21, Buffalo 7

The Falcons (8-4, 6-2 MAC) dominated time of possession against the Bulls and scored the first three touchdowns unanswered Saturday. BGSU did so despite its quarterback throwing three interceptions. The defense held Buffalo (4-8, 3-5 MAC) to 2-for-15 on third downs and 0-for-4 on fourth-down conversions. Keeping Buffalo out of the red zone until the fourth quarter, BGSU only allowed one drive for more than 23 yards Friday.