Around the MAC: Toledo reaches AP Top 25 during bye week

No. 23 Toledo sat back and enjoyed a bye week this weekend, but still earned a spot in the Associated Press top-25 poll.

It is the first time the program has been ranked since 2001. Northern Illinois and Kent State are close behind, at 26th and 27th respectively in the AP poll.

The Rockets play Ball State next weekend before a Mid-American Conference showdown with NIU. The Huskies are 9-1, with their only loss being a one-point defeat to Iowa to open the season. Toledo’s only loss was also the first game of the season in overtime at Arizona.

Buffalo 27, Miami 24

The Bulls (2-7, 1-4 MAC) upset the RedHawks for their first MAC win of the season. With 23 seconds left, Miami (4-5, 3-2 MAC) quarterback Zac Dysert threw his third touchdown to tie the game. But Buffalo kicker Patrick Clarke made a 47-yard field goal as time expired to pull off the upset. Branden Oliver rushed for 199 yards and a touchdown for Buffalo.

Kent State 35, Akron 24

The Golden Flashes (8-1, 5-0 MAC) stayed undefeated in the MAC after trailing rival Akron by 10 at halftime. KSU scored three touchdowns and held the Zips (1-9, 0-6 MAC) scoreless for the last 30 minutes, led offensively by Kent State quarterback Dalton Williams, who threw for three touchdowns and 312 yards.

Northern Illinois 63, Massachusetts 0

Jordan Lynch’s campaign for MAC Player of the Year didn’t stop Saturday when he recorded 191 passing yards and 157 rushing yards with three touchdowns. If he was playing in a bigger conference with these numbers, he might be a Heisman candidate. The Huskies (9-1, 6-0 MAC) defense forced four turnovers in the route. UMass (0-9, 0-5 MAC) is still looking for its first win as a MAC team.

Ohio 45, Eastern Michigan 14

The Eagles will have an extra two days preparing for Central Michigan next week after playing a Thursday night game against Ohio (8-1, 4-1 MAC). The Bobcats bounced back from their first loss of the season by dominating the Eagles (1-8, 0-5 MAC), racking up 559 total yards and holding EMU to 320.