Stabbing, 37 arrests and 45 alcohol related citations over Western weekend

A party Saturday night on Washington Street resulted in one person stabbed and the suspect without his fingers.

Mount Pleasant police Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson said officers were called to a party at 1023 S. Washington St., where the host of a party was stabbed while trying to clear people out of his home.

The victim, whose name and age has not been released, was stabbed in the back with a knife and the suspect cut off several of his own fingers when the knife slipped through his hand, police said.

“As of right now, the incident is still being investigated and the details are not completely available for release,” Thompson said. “It is my understanding that the assault was a result of the suspect being told to leave the party.”

The victim and the suspect were taken to McLaren-Central Michigan, 1221 S. Drive, police said.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Thompson said the suspect had been identified but not yet arrested.

"Due to the nature of the victim’s injuries, I would imagine he has been released," Thompson said. "I would also imagine that the suspect was released but will probably have many more visits."

Additionally, the same night, 16 of the 29 arrests made by the MPPD resulted from one nuisance party. Police were called to the same Yorkshire Commons apartment, 7 Kensington Circle, three times Saturday night into early Sunday morning.

Thompson said when police responded the third time a large fight broke out and occupants of the home refused to open the door for police, resulting in police obtaining a search warrant.

Of the 16 arrested and lodged at Isabella County Jail, Thompson said three were lodged for hosting the party and 13 for attending the party.

“Except for the number of people going to jail we had a pretty good weekend,” Thompson said.

Local police agencies were moderately busy throughout the weekend, when 37 people were arrested; six by the Central Michigan University Police, two by the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department, and 29 by MPPD, police said.

Between MPPD, the Isabella County Sheriff's Department and CMU police, 45 minor in possession citations were handed out, down from 105 alcohol-related citations police wrote during the 2010 rivalry weekend.

MP police issued 21 MIPs, while CMU police  handed out 16 and the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department gave out eight, Central Michigan Life previously reported.

Aside from the nuisance parties, Lt. Cameron Wassman told CM Life police noticed activities Friday and Saturday night were tamer than in the past.

Thompson said although rowdier than a typical football game, in comparison to the Michigan State University game, the number of citations handed out was significantly less.

“From my observation, Saturday night was pretty quiet until about 11 or 11:30 p.m.,” he said. “It only lasted about an hour or hour and a half, nothing really got too big. By 2 a.m., it was a ghost town.”

Although more calm, Thompson said without additional law enforcement agencies helping patrol and the cooperation of the student body, the weekend would have been hard to handle.

CMU police had assistance of additional deputies patrolling during tailgating, while the MPPD and ICPD had 20 officers from local departments outside of the county and almost 30 from the state police, he said.

- Metro Editor Hailee Sattavara contributed to this article.