Central's Got Talent fundraising event draws crowd of more than 100, raises more than $1,000

People raised their glasses in the air as Jamie & KP sang to a crowd of more than 100 people raising money for cancer awareness.

More than 11 community performers came to entertain the audience Monday night at Hunter’s Ale House, 4885 E. Blue Grass Road.

The class project for RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events, raised more than $1,000 to benefit the American Cancer Society. 

The event, “Central’s Got Talent,” was planned by community recreation major and Grand Rapids junior William Reholz and four classmates, along with the help of volunteers since the first week of the semester.

“We couldn’t have done with without the sponsors,” he said.

Local businesses gave out gift cards and coupons and Reholz said they got anything they could get their hands on. Tickets purchased for $2 at the door were raffled for various prizes. A silent auction was also held to win Lions tickets, Victoria’s Secret gift cards and other prizes.

“It’s all about making money for a great foundation,” he said.

When coming up with an event, Reholz said his group members wanted to bring something alive that holds close to their heart. The drive to raise money wasn’t hard for the group as many of the people had close family and friends battling cancer.

“We've more than doubled our goal,” he said. “This is great.”

Portland, Ore., senior Todd Johnson said he wanted to take on a nationally-recognized charity that is also close to home.

“We all know someone we love and care about with cancer,” he said.

Getting performers to come was not a difficult task, Johnson said.

“They were all so cooperative and willing to help out,” he said.

Local performers took the stage, including CMU a capella groups On the Rox and Fish N’ Chips. Student performers Ben Schuller, Erica Francis, Ryan Anderson, Jamie & KP and Mark Daisy also performed. 

Zeeland senior Taylor Remy said she came to see Fish N’ Chips perform and support a good cause.

“It’s awesome to see all these people here supporting,” she said.

Mount Pleasant junior Merisa Vanderloon is part of the RPL 430 class and came to support her peers.

“It gives me a feel for what it takes to put on an event like this,” she said.

Performer Ryan Anderson said he enjoyed playing at an event that offered a variety of entertainment for everyone.

“It brings people together to support a common goal – fighting cancer,” the Wixom senior said.