December commencement speakers announced; CMU alum to receive honorary degree

There will be three separate commencement ceremonies on Dec. 15, each with its own guest speaker, in McGuirk Arena to honor Central Michigan University graduates.

According to a news release from CMU, the ceremonies, taking place at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. will feature guest speakers Steelcase Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer James Hackett, Kentucky State University President Mary Sias and The Ohio State University Executive Dean and Vice Provost Joseph Steinmetz, respectively.

Hackett has more than 30 years of experience in the business world and oversees all Steelcase domestic and international operations.

He will receive a Doctor of Commercial Science honorary degree for his work in business and industry.

Sias, in addition to leading KSU as its 13th president, has been noted as a dedicated leader and main advocate for higher learning. In the past, she has served as associate provost and senior vice president of student affairs and external relations at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Sias will receive a Doctor of Public Service honorary degree.

Steinmetz, a CMU alum, has been recognized for his achievements as a behavioral neuroscientist in experimental psychology as well as neuroscience.

He graduated from CMU in 1977 with a bachelor's degree in psychology; and in 1979 with a master's in experimental psychology.

Steinmetz will be receiving a Doctor of Science honorary degree.

All of the ceremonies will be streamed live on cmich.edu.