Four volleyball players earn conference awards to conclude season

Four Central Michigan volleyball players received All Mid-American Conference honors last week.

Junior setter Kelly Maxwell, freshman middle blocker Angie White, sophomore outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre and junior defensive specialist Jenna Coates were all recognized for their strong play this season. Each of the four earned weekly awards throughout the year as well.

McIntyre tallied 373 kills this season and earned first-team All-MAC honors.

“I think McIntyre was certainly a candidate for Player of the Year, and I hope her game continues to evolve," head coach Erik Olson said. "I think she'll be one of the players looked at next year for Player of the Year."

Maxwell received second-team All-MAC honors after recording 1,143 assists this season.

“I thought Kelly deserved first-team at setter ... in the conference statistics, she was number one, but I'm really happy she made All-MAC," Olson said. "She's a great setter."

White made the All-Freshman team for the Chippewas. She recorded over 185 kills on the season.

“I think Angie made a very competitive All-Freshmen team," Olson said. "There are some very good freshmen, and, when I looked at the field, I said, 'wow I don't know about this.' Obviously, a lot of people think that Angie's future is bright, and I certainly do,” Olson said.

Coates' 527 digs earned her first-team MAC honors.

“Coates had her eye on defensive player of the year, but she's our first libero ever to make All-MAC anything, so that's a huge honor for her,” Olson said.

The team concluded its season Saturday with a 3-0 victory against South Florida. All four award winners are expected to be back next season as the Chippewas make another run at the Mid-American Conference title.