Isabella County sheriff says recent string of murders in Mount Pleasant area 'tragic'

sherrif

A fatal stabbing early Saturday morning in downtown Mount Pleasant marked the area's third murder of 2012.

Tyrone Stanley, 20, of Mount Pleasant died from a stab wound at an apartment in the 100 block of S. Main St. around 4 a.m. Saturday, according to a news release from the Mount Pleasant Police Department. Stanley was transported to McLaren-Central Michigan Hospital, 1221 S. Drive, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Officers at the scene were able to identify a 25-year-old white male from Mount Pleasant as the suspect. He is currently lodged at the Isabella County Jail. Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski, whose department assisted in the incident, said the suspect was scheduled to be arraigned sometime Sunday. Police have not released the name of the suspect.

Mioduszewski said the sheriff’s department victim services assisted at the scene by notifying Stanley’s family of his death.

"It’s unfortunate these situations are happening,” Mioduszewski said. “It seems like over the past couple years there’s been two to three homicides a year. It’s tragic. I hate to see it here around Central Michigan.”

According to local reports, the crime scene was roped off and processed by the Michigan State Crime Lab from Grayling.

Calls made by Central Michigan Life to the Book Garden, 114 S. Main Street, the Market on Main, 120 South Main Street, ACE Hardware, 118 S. Main St., and Firstbank, 102 S. Main St., were not returned Sunday.

A Facebook page has been created titled "R.I.P Tyrone" and has received more than 400 likes since it was created Saturday.

Earlier this month, 22-year-old Anthony Michael Bennett of Mount Pleasant was charged with killing his girlfriend’s 4-year-old son in June at the couple’s home on the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe reservation.

Most recently, John Douglas White, 55, of Broomfield Township, was charged with the Oct. 31 murder of 24-year-old Rebekah Jane Gay.

White, who lived in the same trailer park as Gay, is alleged to have strangled her to death. His arraignment was postponed for psychiatric evaluations.

On top of three homicides, Mount Pleasant also has seen multiple stabbings since the beginning of the 2012-13 school year.

Earlier this month, during Western Weekend, the host of a party on Washington Street was stabbed while trying to clear people out of his home.

The victim was stabbed in the back with a knife and the suspect cut off several of his own fingers when the knife slipped through his hand, police said.

In September, 22-year-old Todd William of Belding was accused of stabbing two people at Deerfield apartments in Union Township.

He was charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, one count of carrying a concealed weapon and one count of carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent.

Managing Editor Aaron McMann contributed to this report.