Meet the Eastern Michigan Eagles

This weekend, the Central Michigan football team will take on a team that has won just one game this season for the second time in three weeks.

On Oct. 27, the Chippewas defeated the Akron Zips 35-14.

Next up is a trip to Ypsilanti to take on in-state rival Eastern Michigan at 1 p.m. on Saturday. The Eagles only win of the season came on Oct. 20 in a 48-38 win over Army.

The Chippewas lead the all-time series with the Eagles 55-28-6 but CMU has struggled recently against EMU, losing three of the last five meetings, including a 35-28 loss at Kelly/Shorts Stadium a year ago.

“We understand what type of game this is,” head coach Dan Enos said. “We think it’s every bit as big as the Western (Michigan) game. Maybe for other people it’s not as big, but for our football team, it definitely is. They beat us last year in an emotional game and we are going to be ready to play.”

The Eagles rank in the bottom two in the MAC in total defense and total offense. The team has allowed 38.3 points per game, and have the league’s worst run defense, which could mean a big game for CMU junior running back Zurlon Tipton.

EMU has three players who have recorded at least 70 tackles, led by senior linebacker Justin Cudworth, who has 73. Junior cornerback Donald Coleman and senior linebacker Blake Poole each have 70 tackles.

In seven games, EMU redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyler Benz has thrown for 1,235 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Sophomore Bronson Hill is the leading rusher for EMU, gaining 716 yards and scoring six touchdowns in seven games.

Senior Garrett Hoskins is the leading receiver for the Eagles, catching 32 passes for 491 yards and three touchdowns.

“They have a big, physical offensive line that is very well coached,” Enos said. “Their running back is good and the quarterback they’ve inserted has given them a spark. They do a lot of different things with tight ends and wings. They run lots of gap schemes and man schemes that cause issues for you on defense as well."

CMU will attempt to improve its 3-6 record Saturday at Rynearson Stadium, while EMU looks for its second win of the season.