Official search for provost yet to begin, committee to be named within two weeks

The search for a new provost to replace current Provost Gary Shapiro has not begun yet.

According to Director of Public Relations Steve Smith, University President George Ross expects to charge a committee to orchestrate the search within the next two weeks.

Shapiro has served as the provost since August 2010. Previously, Shapiro served as a professor in the sociology, anthropology and social work departments. After teaching, he was appointed to various positions including director of institutional research and planning, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, interim registrar, vice provost, dean of the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences and interim provost.

Shapiro announced his resignation in early September, saying he will be taking a year off as a transition period before returning to teach in 2014.

The office of the provost is highly regarded as second-in-command at Central Michigan University and involves the supervision and oversight of curricular, instructional and research affairs.

“President Ross has talked with constituents across campus — the Academic Senate and its executive board, faculty, deans, staff and students as part of the process of determining committee membership,” Smith said.

Smith said committee members will include representatives of the faculty, students, staff, deans and senior officers.

While the search has not yet begun, the Academic Senate elected Professor of English Maureen Eke and Professor of Mathematics Donna Ericksen to serve on the search committee during an Oct. 16 meeting.

Ross and the Human Resource Department are also reviewing various proposal requests for a national executive search firm.

“A careful evaluation process will include on-campus meetings with up to three firms during mid and late November,” Smith said. “The firm that's selected will be a critical part of the provost search process.”