Small group of UAEM members have big plans for the future

brooke

A small group of Central Michigan University students met this week in Anspach to discuss big ideas dealing with global medicine.

Universities Allied for Essential Medicines hosted its first meeting Tuesday. UAEM is an organization dedicated to promoting global health and global access. Originally started in 2008, Otsego senior and UAEM president Justin Mendoza is putting forth a great effort to get the group running again.

Mendoza said he is excited about the new direction UAEM is headed.

"I'm really hopeful about this group," he said.

The main topics of discussion at the meeting included the prospective global health certificate. Students are set to be able to receive a certificate in global health beginning in fall 2014.

Discussion also surrounded the resolution that will be sent to SGA for approval. Many group members had plenty to say in regards to the revision of this resolution.

They were enthusiastic about providing statistics to support the beliefs of UAEM but were concerned about its semantics, as well as making sure they didn't "dumb down" the complex information too much.

According to the resolution, "100 million people are pushed into poverty each year due to high costs of medical care, and 10 million people die each year from diseases that have available cures."

One group member, Illinois sophomore Ophelia Swanson, was hopeful after the conclusion of the meeting.

"I think it was a good way to get us back into the goals we set earlier this year," she said.

Custer senior and UAEM vice president Samara Spotts said it was good to see members from earlier in the semester finally getting involved and getting their ideas across.

As for the future of UAEM, all members are optimistic in the organization's growth and development.

"I hope next semester we have a strong push to get our ideas on campus," Spotts said.

Mendoza has plans to take the CMU UAEM chapter to the state, national and, eventually, the worldwide level.

He said he hopes the university will accept global accessing licensing. If so, CMU will be the first university in Michigan to do so.