Sue Guevara disappointed with women’s basketball 75-48 loss to UW-Green Bay Saturday

It was a back-and-forth battle to start but Wisconsin-Green Bay eventually took control of the game and defeated the women's basketball team Saturday, 75-48.

Head coach Sue Guevara said she was not happy with the outcome of the game, and neither is the team.

“I’m disappointed, frustrated and not very happy, as I’m sure the team is as well,” she said.

Guevara said she is planning to make some changes in practice during the next week after seeing her team’s offense sputter the last two games.

“I will be looking at getting a new starting five, because this is the second game in a row where we were too impatient offensively, and we didn’t rebound as well on the defensive end,” Guevara said.

Both teams were cold to begin the game. Only three field goals were made total in the first 6:40 of the game, with Central Michigan leading 5-4.

UW-GB’s biggest lead in the first 15 minutes of the game was only four, but, after a three-point shot from UW-Green Bay senior Sarah Eichler, its offense began to take control.

The Phoenix went on a 16-6 run to end the first half, increasing their lead from two to 12 to end the first half.

Guevara said she tried to make adjustments at the half in order to control UW-GB’s offense.

“We changed the lineup to get a little scoring out there and changed our defense to try to slow down Green Bay’s scoring,” she said.

Both teams shot 37 percent in the first half, while CMU had 10 turnovers. Sophomore Crystal Bradford led CMU at the half with six points, and senior Brandie Baker led with five rebounds.

Baker dished out two assists, ranking third in program history with 342-career assists, passing CMU alum Molli Munz.

CMU failed to score 70 points for the first time this season.

UW-GB went on an 11-0 run in the second half, increasing its lead to 61-37 over CMU 13:05 into the half.

The closest CMU came in the second half was within eight points after sophomore Jessica Green nailed a three-point to cut the lead to eight.

The Chippewas couldn’t find enough offense to keep up in the second half, and, after a 14-3 run to end the game, UW-GB came out on top.

UW-GB senior Adrian Ritchie led the Phoenix offense with 25 points, 10 rebounds and two assists, along with three blocks.

Junior Taylor Johnson led CMU with 12 points and was one of fours players with six rebounds. Bradford had 10 points to go along with six rebounds and two assists.

Green finished nine points and grabbed two rebounds. Junior Jordan LaDuke had a season-high seven points and three rebounds.

The team will host South Dakota State for its home opener at 7 p.m. Friday at McGuirk Arena.