Transfer seniors provide leadership for men's and women's basketball teams

Point guard Kyle Randall and forward Jessica Schroll have joined the men’s and women’s basketball teams to provide leadership as transfer seniors.

Randall, who transferred from UNC-Greensboro, has gotten off to a fast start, leading the team in points and minutes played. He has also proven to be clutch, hitting the game-winning shot to seal Central Michigan's latest victory against Idaho State on Saturday.

“It was a good fit; I liked the coaching staff and the opportunity they said I would have,” Randall said. “The style of play, as well and the guys I've met here, brought me to CMU.”

Randall brings much-needed experience to a young roster with just one returning starter and only four returning letter winners.

“I want to help these young guys along and tell them the ins and outs of college basketball,” Randall said.

His experience at point guard is something head coach Keno Davis needs to run his high-tempo offense.

“We needed point guards," Davis said. "We needed to be able to come in and compete this year.”

Davis said Randall, along with freshman point guard Chris Fowler, have exceeded his expectations.

On the women's team, Schroll’s situation is a bit different. She has yet to see time on the floor due to NCAA transfer rules. She won't be eligible to play for head coach Sue Guevara until Dec. 17 against Robert Morris.

But that doesn't mean she can't help. As a transfer from Iowa State, Schroll has seen the best of the best, and that will come in handy when No. 5 Notre Dame comes to town Thursday.

“I have experience under my belt that will help the whole team,” Schroll said. “I have played in big games, I have played the best, I have defended the best, I’ve played in the NCAA Tournament and I know what it takes to get there, so I can lead in that aspect.”

Schroll spent her first three seasons with the Cyclones and played in the Big 12, one of the strongest conferences in the nation, and her job with them was to guard the opponents' most dangerous scorer.

“Jess has a tremendous work ethic, and she plays hard,” Guevara said. “She loves to defend, and, when she played in the Big 12, she played against the opponents' best offensive player.”