CMU student charged with poisoning her roommate — over incident involving dirty dishes

Bonkowskimug

A Central Michigan University sophomore has been charged with trying to poison her roommate over an incident involving dirty dishes.

Kayla Ashlyn Bonkowski, 19, of Sterling Heights was arraigned in Isabella County Trial Court Tuesday for felony poisoning food/drink/medicine/water supply.

Bonkowski allegedly put bleach in her 20-year-old roommate’s iced tea on Nov. 7 at their Jamestown apartment complex in Union Township following an argument over dirty dishes, according to court documents.

Poisoning is a 15-year felony, and because of the severity, Bonkowski could not waive her arraignment. Bonkowski's roommate declined comment to Central Michigan Life Wednesday.

After consuming the iced tea, Bonkowski’s roommate was taken to the hospital for treatment and later reported the incident to authorities.

On Nov. 7, the victim, a Clinton Township native, filed a petition for a personal protection order against Bonkowski, which was authorized Nov. 30 by Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Scully and issued Dec. 3. The victim’s personal protection order will extend through Nov. 7, 2014.

Court records show Bonkowski has yet to enter a plea.

Bonkowski admitted she knew spraying bleach was a serious thing, but did it because her roommate was “mean,” police said.

Bonkowski told the Associated Press via email she needed to consult with a lawyer before commenting on the charge. She is listed as a sophomore from Sterling Heights in the CMU directory and a member of Alpha Gamma Delta.

Court records state Bonkowski is allowed to be on campus only to finish the fall semester. Todd Levitt is listed as her defense attorney.

She posted $2,000 bond Monday, which was continued Tuesday by Isabella County Magistrate Sandra Straus.

Bonkowski is due back in court Dec. 13 for a preliminary examination before Judge William Rush.

United Apartments declined to comment on the incident.

A Freedom of Information Act Request has been filed by CM Life to obtain a copy of the Michigan State Police incident report.