David Burdette, CMU's VP for finance and administrative services, to retire July 31

budgetmeeting-jms-01
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer David Burdette, Vice President of Finance and Administration Services, talks about Central Michigan University's total expenditures for 2009 to 2010 at the budget forum Tuesday in the Bovee University Center auditorium.

Central Michigan University's Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services, David Burdette, announced Wednesday plans to retire this summer, the second senior administrator to announce their intentions of leaving this year.

In a late-afternoon news release from the university, Burdette said he had intentions of serving five years when he arrived at CMU in 2008. Jan. 7 will mark five years, with plans of leaving retiring effective July 31. A search for a replacement will begin in the first quarter of 2013.

“It has been an honor to complete that commitment, serving students, faculty and staff as Central Michigan University expanded its role in this state and across the nation," Burdette said in the release. "Now, my wife, Carol, and I look forward to spending time with our families in New York, Virginia and Australia.”

Burdette, who manages CMU's daily fiscal and physical resources, oversees financial services and reporting, budget and planning, human resources, facilities management, residences and auxiliary services, campus police and parking services. A senior administrator, Burdette is present at all high-profile decision-making meetings and responsible for setting tuition rates and the university's annual budget.

When projects such as the College of Medicine and graduate student housing complex were introduced, Burdette followed with a financial breakdown.

Most recently, Burdette and Steve Lawrence, associate vice president for facilities management, presented plans for a proposed $95 million biosciences building to be built at the present site of Washington Apartments. The CMU Board of Trustees will vote in February over whether to fund the facility, touted as the largest academic investment in school history. CMU has already been approved for $30 million from the state for the project, but would be responsible for coming up with the additional $65 million.

In October, Burdette began work on a $1.6 million master plan that will chart an outline for facilities on campus over the next 10 years. A survey is expected to be released to the campus community in January, with a full report expected to be delivered to University President George Ross in April.

“(David) and his team have led us through several major construction projects, including the College of Medicine and graduate student housing and have started a facilities master planning process that is among the most thorough in the nation," Ross said. "His role is pivotal to the university, and I thank him for his service."

During his time at CMU, Burdette has taken part in several budget and tuition forums on campus, most recently as last spring when university administrators held open forums, an effort improve communications on campus following a tumultuous 2011-12 academic year between the administration and faculty.

Burdette, a retired Lt. Col. of the Army National Guard, came to CMU in 2008 from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where he served as vice president for administration and finance from 2006 to 2008. Prior to that, he was vice president for business and governmental affairs at Radford (Va.) University from 1997 to 2006.

Provost Gary Shapiro announced in September plans to resign following the 2012-13 academic year. He has said he plans to return to teaching in the spring 2014.