Main Street lightens up with Christmas spirit

CMB_Greeks

Charlotte Bodak/Assistant Photo Editor Alpena senior Nick Stephaniak hangs up Christmas light outside of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity house, 605 S. Main Street, Friday night. "This has been a process since Thanksgiving," Stephaniak said. "Everyday we have been putting up lights little by little."

The Dickens’ Christmas Festival wasn’t the only thing enchanting people this weekend leaving them in ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs.’

For the first time ever, the downtown festival collaborated with the Greek community to light up the Greek houses on Main Street.

Senior Brook Thatcher, president of the Interfraternity Council, was sent an email from the state asking if he and the Greek community would be interested in partnering with the city to put up lights on their houses for the people who drove down the street.

The Ohio native and the Greek community agreed to decorate for the festival. To make the process even more interesting, they held a competition for the “Most Festive House.” Sigma Chi won for the best fraternity house while Zeta Tau Alpha won for the best sorority house, and both chapters won a cash prize to give to their national philanthropy.

However, the entire experience seemed more like fun and games than a competition.

“My fraternity, we live right next door to another fraternity house on Main Street and we actually connected our houses with lights,” Thatcher said. “It was fun. A lot of fraternities had Christmas music playing and stuff.”

house
Jeffrey Smith/Staff Photographer A house is decorated with christmas lights Friday evening at 604 S. Main Street.

Macomb junior Alexis Theodore, who is a member of Sigma Kappa, helped bedazzle her house with her sorority sisters. Theodore calls it a good experience because everyone worked together on it.

“We kind of just put all of it together,” Theodore said. “We each did our own thing and thought what would look good. Some people did the lights on the roof, some people did the candy cane entry way, we weren’t expecting it to turn out how it did, it turned out much better than we thought because it was only girls that were doing that.”

Junior Sarah Anderson of Grand Rapids and a group of friends drove down Main Street to see the houses aglow and admitted that she was impressed. Anderson compared the decorating to professionals.

“I’ve never just seen Main Street light up like it is now,” Thatcher said. “It’s just really great to drive down the street and see all the decorations and it’s related to the Christmas spirit. It’s something I’ve never seen before and I really like it and I hope it continues in the future.”

Not only did this event help beautify Main Street, but helped the Greek community give back to the city.

“We were just really jittered to actually have the Mount Pleasant community reach out to us and extend us an invitation because normally, there’s a lot of, I guess you can call, tension between the city and the Greek community, it feels like,” said junior Blake Foster of  Maine and member of the Sigma Chi fraternity. “So it was really nice to be able to do something for them and help them out as well as ourselves.”