Women's basketball fall to host San Diego in overtime, 78-72

With a slow jump to start off in San Diego the Women’s Basketball team fell Friday to the University of San Diego 72-78.

Central Michigan came out sluggish in the Maggie Dixon Surf and Slam Classic, but slowly got into its rhythm.

San Diego had a considerable lead for most of the first half and into the second half before the Chippewas finally made it a one-possession game.

After a three-point basket made senior guard Jalisa Olive the Chippewas tied up the game with 9:22 left.

From there CMU took the lead and the game stayed a one-possession game until the clock hit 0:00 and the game was tied up 62-62 after a missed lay-up by Chippewas sophomore guard Crystal Bradford with seven seconds left.

A five-minute overtime battle began with the Toreos winning the tip and a quick basket following.

Bradford would not miss the next layup she attempted, she also took the opportunity to make it into a three-point-play. This pushed the Chippewas ahead 65-64.

After a missed free throw by USD it came up with an offensive rebound and added a basket putting the Toreros up 70-75.

From there it was a foul-frenzy to try to rebound to get a shot off before the clock ran out.

CMU only scored one more time before the clock hit 0:00 once again making the final score to the game 72-78 with USD on top.

Bradford ended her night with 18 points and 15 rebounds; she also tacked on 4 steals and two blocked shots.

Olive rounded out her night with 13 points and sophomore guard Jessica Green had 14 points.

The Chippewas shot 20 percent from three-point range and 37.2 percent from the floor.

CMU will face off against the loser of the Iowa-Texas game that also was played Friday night following the Chippewas loss.