Women's basketball home Monday before heading to Florida and California

After having a week off from competition, the women’s basketball team is ready to play Robert Morris at 6 p.m. Monday in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan lost to the Colonials 64-55 last season in Moon Township, Pa.

The Chippewas just came out of one its toughest stretches in team history with a 3-4 record with wins over Bradley, South Dakota State and UW-Green Bay.

“I like the fact that we’ve answered the challenge physically," head coach Sue Guevara said. "We have more people stepping up as far as being more physical, getting after it, making contact and rebounding. Even in our losses we were playing hard for 40 minutes and I can’t fault the effort."

Sophomore guard Crystal Bradford has continued where she left off last season by leading CMU this year in both points (15.3 ppg) and rebounds (9.14 rpg). She is second in assists (2.3 apg) behind senior guard Brandie Baker.

Bradford is coming off a big game against UW-GB, where she scored a career-high 23 points and a season-high 13 rebounds.

Guevara said she is impressed with Bradford’s growth on the defense.

“She’s quick and she’s got those long arms," Guevara said. "She’s got quick feet. Off the ball she does a really good job of anticipating and getting her hands on the ball."

Senior forward Jessica Schroll, who transferred from Iowa State, will be playing in her first game as a Chippewa after sitting out the first seven games. Guevara said she is looking forward to Schroll showing off what she has to offer in her first game.

“I think she's going to be excited and ready to play," Guevara said. "Jessica can guard anyone, one through five. She’s a pretty good rebounder and is good off the bounce. She is a real good vocal leader, and I think, on the floor, that’s something I’m really going to welcome."

RMU comes into McGuirk with a 0-8 record on the season while averaging 51 ppg. But Guevara said one of the most important things is to never overlook any opponent.

“There is no overlooking anybody, we talk about this all the time and that is to focus on the process,” Guevara said. Not the team we’re playing and not the outcome but focus on the process and focus on us and what we want to accomplish and what kind of show do we want to put on for our fans.”

Over break, CMU will travel to Florida and California.

The team will travel to Florida for the Gator Holiday Classic in Gainesville with games on Thursday, Dec. 20, against St. Joseph’s and Friday, Dec. 21, against either Florida or Savannah State.

On Dec. 28 and Dec. 30, CMU will compete in the Maggie Dixon Surf and Slam Tournament in San Diego, Calif., against San Diego on Friday and either Texas or Iowa on Sunday, Dec. 30.