Women’s basketball keeps the offense going against St. Joesph's, 98-84 win

Women’s basketball made an impression in the Gator Holiday Classic Thursday afternoon by scoring a season-high 98 points in a 14-point victory over St. Joseph's.

The first half was a back and forth game with many lead changes and little defense as the offenses controlled the game as CMU led at the half 47-42.

The Chippewas were led offensively by their three seniors, guards Brandie Baker and Jalisa Olive and forward Jessica Schroll, who made her debut Thursday after sitting out the first part of the season due to transfer rules.

“All three of our seniors played very solid tonight,”head coach Sue Guevara said. “This was Brandie’s best all-around game of the year and she let the game come to her.”

Schroll made an impact on the game, scoring 15 in her first appearance for CMU and making 9-of-12 from the line to help the Chippewas maintain their lead down the stretch.

Guevara said she liked the intensity Schroll was playing with while also attacking the basket.

“She was really pushing the ball and taking the ball inside,” she said.

The lineup for CMU was bigger to begin the second half as it wanted to improve the effort on the boards and slow down the Hawks scoring opportunities inside.

“We were attacking the glass more offensively,” Guevara said. “The key in the second half was the rebounding. I think we wore St. Joseph's out and it speaks to the depth of our team.  We went to a bigger lineup and were able to contest and deny the ball inside better.”

Baker had her best game of the season scoring 16 points while bringing down 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. She was one of six players in double figures for the Chippewas.

Sophomore guard Crystal Bradford had 10 points and eight rebounds while junior forward Taylor Johnson also had 13 points.

CMU will play Florida at 7 p.m. Friday for the Gator Holiday Classic after the Gators beat Savannah State 88-38.