CMU football coach Dan Enos hires George Ricumstrict as new defensive line coach

Football has a new defensive line coach in former standout player and coach George Ricumstrict.

Ricumstrict replaces former defensive line coach Vinson Reynolds, who accepted the same job at Western Michigan under new head coach P.J. Fleck, who is a friend and former teammate at Northern Illinois.

He is a former All-Mid-American Conference linebacker and is a former assistant coach under Mike DeBord.

"George was one of Central Michigan’s greatest linebackers and we’re extremely excited to have him back here at Central Michigan to join our staff,” said Enos in a news release. “He brings more than 16 years of defensive coaching experience and is a man of high integrity. His Michigan roots make him invaluable with recruiting. He will be a great role model and mentor to our players. We all look forward to having Coach Ricumstrict join our football family."

Ricumstrict has plenty of coaching experience. In the last 20-plus years, he has coached Eastern Illinois, Central Missouri, Indiana, Miami (Ohio), Northwood, Wayne State, Michigan State, Army and Missouri Southern, all as a defensive positions coach.

Ricumstrict played from 1985-88 and earned both his bachelor's and master's degree at CMU.

In his playing days with the Chippewas he was named the team's Most Valuable Player and won the 1988 Kurt Dobronski Award which is given to someone who shows great effort, intensity and appreciation to the program.

In his first coaching stint, from 2000-03, under DeBord, CMU went 12-34.