CMU police investigating attempted abduction at gunpoint outside Student Activity Center

Central Michigan University police is investigating an attempted abduction at gunpoint Wednesday night outside the Student Activity Center.

According to an alert sent out to the campus community at approximately 12:20 a.m. Thursday, a female was approached at gunpoint at approximately 9:30 p.m. by a male suspect in the parking lot of the SAC, a popular workout facility connected to the CMU Events Center off Broomfield Road.

The alleged suspect, described as a white male between 20 and 30 years old, 5-foot-8 and 160 pounds with short blonde hair, then kidnapped the victim and her vehicle, a blue 2003 Ford Escape with Michigan registration "CNN9599."

The victim eventually escaped from the suspect, but he took off south in the her vehicle. It was last seen at Old Mission and Blanchard roads, about four miles south of CMU's campus. She is safe and assisting police in the investigation.

CMU police chief Bill Yeagley said the victim is likely a CMU student, but could not provide any further details when reached by phone early Thursday morning.

CMU police is working with the Isabella County Sheriff's Department. Anyone with information is asked to call 989-774-3081 or 989-773-1000.

University Editor Catey Traylor contributed to this report.

Keep checking cm-life.com for more on this developing story.