CMU track starts indoor season with second-place finish at EMU

Central Michigan put its track spikes on for the first time this season on Dec. 7 at the Eagle Holiday Meet at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti.

CMU finished in second place to the host Eagles by scoring 90 points on the day.  Several athletes had strong performances, including junior Alex Rose who won the shot put with a mark of 54-08.75. and placed second in the weight throw.

“For an athlete like that to come in and do what he did shows a lot of promise for the season,” said track and field director Willie Randolph. “We had some solid performances and that's exactly what we wanted in this opening meet.”

Scoring for the Chippewas was the runner-up 4x400m relay team of juniors Ross Parsons, Ryan Brooks, Clay Holman and Parker Scott. Parsons competed fiercely in the 60m dash, with a time of 6.95 seconds.

Brooks finished on his tail with an identical 6.95 mark to give CMU second and third place finishes.

The Chippewas were short-staffed, missing most of the throwing and distance events. Despite being at limited strength, CMU still managed to impress in Ypsilanti.

“We left some good guys home,” Randolph said. “We’re very optimistic just knowing that we started as a team, being competitive during a difficult time of the year.”

The young Chippewas also had strong performances from its underclassmen including sophomore Dee Smith, who won the men’s long jump with a career-best height of 23-00.75.

Finishing in second was freshman Craig Mauldin, jumping 21-06.75 and also taking third in the triple jump.

Freshman Matt Mueller took second in his first collegiate high jump for CMU with a mark of 6-05.75.

“It’s good to see our younger classmen being able to step up early in the season,” Randolph said. “Now it’s about maintaining over the Christmas break.”

After being out of action for the last month, the Chippewas take the track next at the CMU Open on starting at 4 p.m. Friday.