Comedian Chad Daniels 'first major event' of semester for Program Board

Central Michigan University’s Program Board is bringing Chad Daniels to campus Jan. 26 as the group’s first official act of the spring semester.

The event, which will take place at 7 p.m. at the University Center Rotunda, will be free and open to the public.

The comedian, along with being featured on Comedy Central's "Live at Gotham", has been on "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" and has also had a guest appearance on "Conan." In 2009, Daniels was named comedian of the year by the Minneapolis news publication City Pages.

Daniels will be the Program Board's first major event of the spring semester. Damon Brown, the faculty adviser for Program Board, said the reason they picked Daniels for the first event of the year was because of his comedic talent on stage.

"We saw him at a regional conference, and, as always with Program Board, we're always looking for the best act to bring to campus," Brown said. "We were highly impressed, and we knew we wanted to bring him here."

Brown said he is uncertain how many students will attend the event, although he is hoping for a full house. He said, regardless of attendance, students will be impressed.

"He has a brand of down-to-earth humor; it's relatable," Brown said. "When we saw him, he had us in stitches."

Nicole Murawski, who works public relations for Program Board, said, as the first event of the year, the performance holds special significance for the board.

"The first event of the year is always a big deal for us," Murawski said. "We're excited to see what Daniels brings to the stage."

Murawski said seeing Daniels beforehand made the process of selecting him much simpler.

"He's a great performer," Murkawski said. "We feel he's representative of the quality we want to bring to CMU."

Daniels is not the only stand-up comedian Program Board is planning to bring to campus this semester. Roy Wood Jr. is also scheduled to come to the UC Rotunda on Feb. 13.