Fire at Forum Apartments results in no injuries

CMB_ForumFire_01

Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photographer A firefighter leaves the apartment room where a fire started Wednesday morning at the Forum Apartment Complex, 950 Appian Way in Mount Pleasant.

No injuries were reported following a small fire Wednesday morning at Forum Apartments off Mission Street.

The cause of the fire at Apt. B105, 950 Appian Way, remains under investigation, pending interviews and a search of the area affected.

Redford senior and occupant Jacq Roberge was not home at the time of the fire and was notified through her voicemail.

“I got a voicemail saying there was a fire, and I ran back after class,” Roberge said. “They got the dogs out and said they were happy.”

Two of the owner’s dogs were still in the apartment but were removed without injury and taken to a veterinary clinic due to the amount of smoke at the scene.

“We had smoke in most of the apartments and some of the west side,” Mount Pleasant Fire Department Sgt. Michael Dunham said. “They were systematically vented using exhaust fans.”

The dogs were taken out by the MPFD and turned over to animal control, who promptly took them to a veterinary to check for injury.

The MPFD was notified of the fire at 10:23 a.m. and arrived on the scene at 10:27 a.m. The fire crew had cleared the apartment by 11:28 a.m., while the investigation team remained on site.

Dunham said the fire occurred in the kitchen but has yet to determine the cause until further interviews.

Approximately 20 different personnel were at the scene with seven pieces of equipment. The Mount Pleasant Police Department was also there to assist in the evacuation but was not needed.