Local light displays dazzle the Mount Pleasant community

Citylights

Victoria Zegler/Photo Editor Residents of 205 North Kinney Avenue decorate their home with elaborate Christmas lights and lawn displays for the holiday season in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

For the past 15 years, Mount Pleasant resident Mike Morey has been illuminating a section of highway M-20 with festive blue light-clad pine trees that spark joyous holiday feelings for many.

Morey, who owns the property, said he gets letters of thanks in his mailbox and is glad to make a positive difference in the community and to bring holiday cheer. He says he might have started using the unique blue lights because, as a child, he remembers his father decorating the family's Christmas tree in the same fashion.

However, holiday lights can be expensive, and might deter some from decorating as elaborately.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's (EIA) monthly update on electricity usage, December saw a notable increase in the price of residential energy bills, and "most electricity in homes is used for appliances and lighting."

After putting up all LED lights for the trees two years ago, Morey said he couldn't believe how much the LED lights reduced his electric bill. In comparison to the incandescent light bill of around $1,500 a month, the LEDs brought the bill down to around a few hundred dollars from Thanksgiving until the first of January.

No matter the cost, Morey said the money is well spent toward making people happy.

A9_CityLights

"It makes so many people happy. I could never quit doing it," Morey said.

Another traditional display of holiday cheer was close to being retired from Mount Pleasant's community before two residents took it upon themselves to sustain the tradition.

Papa's Pumpkin Patch, 3909 South Summerton Road, adopted Jerry and Dorothy Sheahan's Christmas display tradition when they purchased a large amount of their well-known lights and decorations from them for the season. The pumpkin patch's owners, Bill and Dee Miller, went to the Sheahans to purchase some of their well-known holiday decorations but ended up buying them all.

Bill said he wanted to keep the Sheahans' tradition alive, so he and Dee decorated their home with lights, lawn ornaments and blow-up decorations. Families and community members drove past their house admiring the seasonal lights.

Bill said he was a little worried at first when people were driving into his driveway to admire the display. After talking with them, however, he saw that they were very respectful.

"People are very appreciative. They are very appreciative of what we did," Miller said.