Men's track and field takes third at GVSU Quad, but shows improvement

The men's indoor track and field team finished third at the GVSU Quad meet this weekend despite putting up some quality scores.

The Chippewas added two more Mid-American Conference qualifiers in Allendale and another two at the Indiana Relays at the University of Indiana.

"The meet was very solid for us," said director of track and field Willie Randolph. "We had a lot of things individually that we got done. Our main objective was to get our team together and get the team chemistry moving as well as having the athletes continue to get things done moving towards the conference meet."

In Allendale, CMU fell behind Grand Valley State (164.50) and MAC rival Eastern Michigan (154.50) with a score of 124.

Nevertheless, several Chippewas continued to improve and posted solid times. Week after week, sophomore distance duo Kyle Stacks and Ethan Lievense have embodied the spirit of the underclassmen stepping up to lead the young CMU squad.

This weekend, they were sent to the Indiana Relays resulting in MAC qualifying times in the 3000m race. Stacks won the race with a time of 8:18.81, a personal best, while Lievense came soon after finishing fifth with a time of 8:22.57, which was also a new personal record by almost six seconds.

They also went on to run in the mile race Saturday at GVSU. Stacks took second with a time of 4:09.36, barely edging out Lievense, who placed third with a time of 4:10.03.

At the GVSU quad, the Chippewas had two more MAC qualifiers in senior Alex Rose and junior Ryan Brooks. Rose took second in the shot put and qualified with a throw of 16.99m. Brooks won the 60m dash with a time of 6.91, qualifying as well as reaching a personal record in the event.

"Those individuals are doing a solid job, but we know that they still have a lot of other things that they still want to achieve," Randolph said. "It's really good to see Ethan and Ryan and the rest starting to come alive and say ‘hey, we can be competitive if we work hard every single day,’ and that’s what gives encouragement to their teammates."

Behind Brooks in the 60m dash was fellow junior Ross Parsons, who placed second and additionally took fourth in the 200m dash.

In the 60m hurdles, junior Corey Noeker took second place, while senior Dee Smith, once again, was a force in the long jump, taking second with a distance of 6.94m.

Next week, a select few Chippewas will head to Notre Dame for the Meyo Invitational.

"We have a lot of good things we can see coming in the post season," Randolph said. "Moving forward is a good thing for us to have mentally. Physically, we have some work to do as well, but mentally going in the right direction is what we need right now. So, we’re going to continue to use that momentum and keep getting the marks we need"