Football to play five home games

The Mid-American Conference has announced the football schedule for the 2013 season.

Central Michigan will play six teams that qualified for a bowl game in 2012. After having seven home games in 2012, it will have just five next season.

The Chippewas will host two-time conference champion and 2012 BCS-qualifier Northern Illinois, along with Toledo, Eastern Michigan and Massachusetts at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

CMU will also travel to Ball State and Miami University, as well as Ohio, a team the Chippewas did not play last season.

It opens its season Aug. 31 at Michigan, the first game between the two programs since 2006. Its only non-conference home game, Sept. 7, is against New Hampshire, an FCS-postseason qualifier. CMU won its only prior meeting with UNH in 2003.

The Chippewas will also travel to North Carolina State, who they last played in 2011, as well as UNLV in non-conference play.  CMU is 1-2 all-time against the Runnin’ Rebels, with its last meeting being in 1993.

Reynolds bolts for WMU

CMU will play those games without defensive line coach Vinson Reynolds, who Dan Enos will have to replace after Reynolds took the defensive line coaching job at Western Michigan.

Reynolds was a first-team All-Mid-American Conference defensive end at Northern Illinois, where he played with new Broncos head coach P.J. Fleck in 2003. Fleck was named head coach after the firing of former WMU head coach Bill Cubit, who is now the offensive coordinator at Illinois, was made after the team failed to qualify for a bowl game.

Fleck was the wide receivers coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before taking the job with the Broncos. He also held the same position at Rutgers and NIU and was a graduate assistant at Ohio State.

Prior to coaching at CMU, Reynolds spent the 2010 season as the defensive line coach at Central Oklahoma.  He spent the 2008 and 2009 seasons as graduate assistant and defensive quality control coach at Oklahoma State under head coach Mike Gundy.

He began his coaching career in 2006 when he served as the defensive line coach at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

There is no official word on any more coaching changes for the football team.