Woman charged with embezzling more than $25,000 as accountant for meat processor

A Mount Pleasant woman is being charged with three felony counts following the embezzlement of more than $25,000 from a local business.

From 2010 to 2012, Stephanie Lynn Lyon, 34, allegedly embezzled $25,835 from Smith and Son’s Meat Processing, 5080 E. Broadway, while working as the company’s accountant.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said the embezzlement was discovered when the company changed accountants.

“Their new accountant noticed a lot of discrepancies,” he said. “When they realized money was missing, we were notified and we conducted our investigation.”

Mioduszewski said the department was informed on Nov. 6, 2012, beginning the investigation that led to numerous findings of embezzlement, forgery and fraud, according to the following:

In 2010, Lyon double-signed and cashed 27 checks and produced and forged an additional check.

In 2011, 21 checks were double-signed and cashed by Lyon, as well as seven checks that were produced and forged.

Throughout 2012, Lyon double-signed and cashed 15 checks, as well as two checks she produced and forged.

Lyon has been arrested and arraigned on three felony charges, including embezzlement of $20,000 or more, punishable by up to 10 years in prison; forgery, punishable by up to 14 years in prison; and fraud, punishable by up to 14 years in prison.

Mioduszewski said Lyon waived her preliminary hearing and is now bound to Circuit Court.

The case remains under investigation, police said.