Park Library displays beginning artists' work at the Primary Visions art exhibit

kt_primaryvisions_02
(Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer) Bay City freshman Matt Grimmer stands next to his art work in the Primary Visions Art Exhibit on the third floor of the Park Library. Select student's artwork from foundation art classes were chosen for the exhibit which runs through January 31st. "My professor chose the piece," explained Grimmer, "I was really excited."

The first and third floors of the Charles V. Park Library now feature art from introductory-level art courses at the university.

Until Jan. 31, the Primary Visions art exhibit will display a collection of mixed-media art various Central Michigan University students created in introductory-level art courses. The exhibit features the "finest" student works from the art program's Foundation classes.

In the Park Library Extended Hours Study Room on the first floor and third-floor gallery exhibit, the displays vary from hand-drawn artwork to 3D sculptures and can be seen on exhibit from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The library collected the art from the art department and other artists in the area for their own permanent collection, but they also present beginner-level artists' work alongside pieces from their collection each year in their Primary Vision exhibit.

"We have a foundation show each year," Coordinator of Exhibits and Projects Janet Danek said. "We at the library believe that ... doing these exhibits and having the art displayed provides students with a broader experience than just academics."

Danek said the professors from the Foundation's introductory art classes chose the top drawings, sculptures and other art forms from their classes and submit them to the library for the exhibit.

Design student Lesley Kimbell has a "letter form" sculpture on display on the third floor of the library. She said her sculpture was created by bringing in her own life experiences and incorporating them into her work.

"The freedom of expression is the thing I most enjoy about creating art," the Mecosta freshman said.

Bay City freshman and design student Matt Grimmer said creating his "text self portrait" was a break from the stresses of his first semester at CMU.

"When I started working on the piece, I wasn't doing so well in my classes, and working on the project kept me calm," Grimmer said.

The art gives patrons of the library new things to look at and discover as they are looking for their books or studying.

"Even if someone comes in not expecting to see any art, they will have that experience, because there will be some form of art sitting right next to them," Danek said.

Kimbell agrees that having the art in the library adds to the education level of the library.

"I enjoy walking through the library and being distracted by the displays of art," she said. "Not everyone can make art, and I feel it provides other departments at CMU an opportunity to view all that the art department has to offer"