Players react to third CMU women's soccer coach since 2010

cm_soccercoach

Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer New Central Michigan women's soccer coach Peter McGahey gets welcomed in by CMU athletics Thursday afternoon during a press conference at the Events Center. McGahey left Minnesota State University to take the same position at CMU. McGahey was named the 2012 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference coach of the year while at Minnesota State and hopes to bring the same success to the women's soccer program at CMU.

Peter McGahey is the third head coach of the women's soccer team since 2010 and is the first from outside the program in that time.

Following the 2010 season, then-head coach Tom Anagnost left the Chippewas for the head coaching position at the University of Miami. Assistant coach Neil Stafford took over, and after two seasons at the helm, he bolted for the University of Cincinnati.

Despite the changes, players like junior mid-fielder Kaely Schlosser have stuck with CMU and, in doing so, have made three NCAA Tournament appearances.

"It actually hasn't been that bad (going through three coaches)," Schlosser said. "I'm in a class of eight, and we all stick together and understand that it's not going to be that different having a new coach."

The hire was officially made late Wednesday night, and McGahey met with his new team briefly that night.

"We're all excited to get to know him," said sophomore forward Laura Gosse. "I love the fact he has a family and loves dogs, and he was very interested in my injury and all of us who are injured, which was nice to see."

During the meeting, he talked about his philosophy, which is attack. McGahey's Minnesota State Wildcats defense was nationally ranked in goals-against average in four-of-five seasons in Division II.

"His ideas sound pretty similar (to the previous coaching staff)," Schlosser said. "He has a lot of the same fundamentals that we've stuck with since I've been here, which is high pressure and attacking play, and I think that's really good. He should be great for us."

McGahey and his wife Dawn, along with his two children Ella and Will, come to Mount Pleasant from Mankato, Minn., where he was the head coach of the Wildcats for five seasons. He was also the assistant at South Dakota State and Central Oklahoma University previously.

"I'd like to thank my wife and kids for supporting me," McGahey said. "We like to say we're packing up our boxes and making new friends"