Poisoning case: Bond revoked for CMU student after visiting Wayside



Former Central Michigan University student Kayla Ashlyn Bonkowski, 19, had her bond revoked Tuesday after witnesses saw her at Wayside Central Jan. 8 at the same time as the roommate she allegedly poisoned.

Bonkowski is now being held in Isabella County Jail.

According to MLive, Isabella County Principal Trial Attorney Mark Kowalczyk said the victim saw Bonkowski staring at her and left the bar soon after because she felt uncomfortable.

Bonkowski broke two bond conditions when she had come within 100 feet of the victim and entered a place that served alcohol.

Bonkowski stood before Trial Court Judge Mark Duthie on Tuesday, two weeks after in the incident, where a motion to revoke her bond was passed.

The court found Bonkowski in violation of bond conditions and is now being held without bond in the Isabella County Jail.

The 19-year-old was charged with the felony of poisoning food, drink, medicine or water supply, which can carry a maximum sentence of 15 years.

Bonkowski was accused of poisoning her roommate’s iced tea with bleach on Nov. 7 at their apartment in Union Township due to an argument over dirty dishes.

After consuming the iced tea, Bonkowski’s roommate was taken to the hospital for treatment and later reported the incident to authorities.

On the same day, a petition was filed for a personal protection order against Bonkowski by the victim, which was authorized by Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Scully and issued Dec. 3.

The Sterling Heights native waived her preliminary trial just before winter break on Dec. 20. As of Dec. 5, Bonkowski had been free after posting $2,000, only 10 percent of her bond.

Todd Levitt, listed as Bonkowski’s attorney, was unavailable for comment.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Bonkowski admitted she knew that poisoning her roommate’s iced tea was a serious thing but did it anyway because her roommate was "mean," according to an affidavit.


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.