Distance runner Maddie Ribant qualifies for MACs in 3,000-meter

Senior distance runner Maddie Ribant has plenty of reasons to be excited after her performance this past Saturday afternoon at Indiana.

Having a qualifying time in the 3,000m, Ribant feels confident about her recent quality performance after feeling some pressure prior to the race.  After the race’s completion, though, Ribant’s mood changed.

“I felt a little bit of relief to see that I qualified,” she said. “It really takes the pressure off.”

These results that put her ahead of her competition did not come easy, she said.  A lot of hard work and timely preparation yielded her eventual qualifying results.

“Coming to all of the workouts and trying to maintain were very important during practice this past week, and (my results) were definitely a long time coming,” Ribant said.

Although she is an experienced senior, Ribant said her run in the 3,000m was the first time she has competed at the Indiana track. This was both a positive advantage as well as a reason for some nerves to come through.

“Before the race, I was just really excited, because it was a nice atmosphere,” Ribant said.  "There was a lot of good competition, and I was able to build on that.”

This performance comes at a pivotal point in the season for the senior distance runner.  She only looks to build on her performance and to improve as well as remain physically fit to prepare herself for the rest of the season.

“I’m going to stay focused and continue to follow along with my training in order to take care of my body,” Ribant said.  “I need to make sure I don’t plateau so I can continue to make my marks.”

This qualifying mark by the senior from Flushing is not the only time she has reached such an impressive finish.

She won the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 10:54.5 at the Bulldog Invitational in 2011.  Along with her 2011 performance, Ribant was an Academic All-MAC selection after the 2012 track and field season.

In the 2011 season, Ribant broke the school-record in the 3000m steeplechase with a time of 10:34.07 while finishing runner-up in Penn Relays despite falling down during the race.

Last season, Ribant finished 19th at the MAC Indoor Championships, but recorded a season-best time of 5:10.87.

While Ribant was at Indiana her team finished third at the GVSU Quad meet.

The teams will be split up again next week as some will travel to Notre Dame to compete in the Meyo Inivitational, while others will head to MAC foe Akron for the Akron Invitational.