Mount Pleasant man shot, killed following abduction, rape of CMU student

Picture-2

A Central Michigan University student is safe and with family after being abducted at gunpoint from the Student Activity Center and sexually assaulted Wednesday night.

The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year-old Mount Pleasant man, is dead after leading the police on a chase through Northern Michigan, ending in Gaylord. He was shot and killed by a Crawford County deputy after ramming the deputy's vehicle with a stolen sanitation truck.

According to Isabella County Sheriff Department, Isabella County Central Dispatch received an emergency call at 10:05 p.m. from the victim. She said she was kidnapped at gunpoint from the SAC. Ramsey forced her into her own car, a 2003 blue Ford Escape, and drove her to a residence on S. Crawford Road, where he bound and sexually assaulted her.

Ramsey then returned the victim to her car, loaded two gas cans in the car, began driving, and told the victim he was planning to kill her, police said.

The victim jumped out of the car and ran to a residence on S. Mission Road for help. A resident let her in and while she was calling 9-1-1, Ramsey poured gasoline on the house and lit it on fire.

There were four people in the house at the time. One of the homeowners returned and was able to extinguish the fire.

WEB06
WEB01

Jeffrey Smith | Staff Photographer The 10000 block of South Mission Road in Shepherd, where the victim escaped.
WEB02

Jeffrey Smith | Staff Photographer The victim ran to this house in the 10000 block of South Mission Road, where residents contacted police. The suspect, Eric Lee Ramsey, a 30-year-old Shepherd man attempted to set the house on fire before fleeing. Burns marks can be seen above the front porch.
WEB03

WEB04

WEB05
WEB07
RAMSEY_MUG

Ramsey then fled the scene and ICSD was informed several hours later that a car matching the description of the victim's had rammed into a Michigan State Police Trooper in Gaylord.

Ramsey then stole a sanitation truck and rammed another Michigan State Police Trooper.

A Crawford County Deputy located the sanitation truck and then Ramsey hit the deputy's car head-on.

The deputy began shooting at the truck and fatally wounded Ramsey.

University President George Ross released a statement Thursday morning to the CMU community.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the CMU student involved in last night's horrible crime. We are thankful that she is secure and receiving the care she needs with her family. The entire CMU community stands ready to help and support her and her family in whatever ways possible," Ross said.

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Ramsey is paroled out of Isabella County and has a criminal past including malicious destruction of property, resisting and assaulting a police officer, assault with intent to harm and felonious assault.

ICSD was assisted by Central Michigan University Police Department, Michigan State Police, Shepherd Police, Tribal Police and the Isabella County Emergency Services Team.

Continue to check cm-life.com for more on this story.