Siblings Weekend to celebrate 50th anniversary

A6_SibsWeekend1

Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Bad Axe senior Lindsay Greyerbiehl plays with her nephew Josiah Freeman, 10, during Sibs swim Saturday afternoon at the Rose pool.

Siblings Weekend aims to up the ante this year as it celebrates its 50th anniversary.

The weekend of Feb. 1 will feature a Western theme and will feature a Great Western Adventure on 7 p.m. Friday night, which will challenge participants with a variety of games and obstacles. On Saturday, a petting zoo will be brought in.

Sibs Weekend is a weekend-long event where students are encouraged to bring siblings, along with family and friends to Central Michigan University to experience a new programs which vary every year.

"We like to bring the siblings up here," said Nicole Kress, a Brownstown Township senior and organizer of the event. "They get to see a little glimpse of college."

Online registration ended earlier this month, but walk-up registration is available at the check-in at Finch Fieldhouse. Each sibling or guest, up to two, costs $35 to register. Registration fees will drop for the third, and other siblings can register for $20. Each parent has a $15 registration fee, and CMU students without a registered sibling or participant who still wish to register for the program will pay a $10 registration fee.

Director of Resident Life Joan Schmidt said residential hall policies will not change for Sibs Weekend. As usual, students will be allowed up to six guests in one room.

"As always, we will be working closely with (the Office of) Student Life to make sure everyone is having a good time when they come here," Schmidt said.

According to Kress, Sibs Weekend will be bringing a new emphasis on recycling for its 50th anniversary.

"We are focusing on being more green; we are trying to recycle," she said. "Most of the material we use will be recyclable."

Event organizers are aiming at 15,000 participants, well over the little more than 6,000 participants the event recorded last year. Kress said the level of registration so far suggests they will reach their 15,000 mark.