Student Book Exchange, Malt Shop offering $500 reward offered for information on recent Mount Pleasant graffiti acts

More than five incidents of graffiti have been reported throughout Mount Pleasant in recent weeks, all pinned to a single suspect by police.

Mount Pleasant Police Department Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson said because of graffiti’s reoccurrence of the words “sae” and “saedo,” all counts are connected to one suspect, who has done damage to other cities recently as well.

“This is the second time this person has done this in this area within the last year,” Thompson said. “Due to similarities to graffiti found in the Grand Rapids area, we believe the suspect has ties both in Grand Rapids and in Mount Pleasant.”

Several of the affected businesses, including the Student Book Exchange, 209 E. Bellows Road, and the Malt Shop, 1088 S. University Ave., have put together a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect involved in the damage to the properties.

SBX owner John Belco said neighbors told him the back of his building was vandalized around Christmas. He was able to cover the damage up with paint he already had in the store.

In early September 2012, 40 incidents of graffiti were reported to the MPPD throughout the area east of Mission Street and south of High Street, CM Life previously reported.

Similar to recent incidents, Thompson said police believed the prior graffiti was related due to the style and colors of the writing.

Belco said he hopes the MPPD will find who took part in the vandalism acts soon so no further damage is done to buildings around town.

There are a couple of possible leads on the case, but police are still looking for any other information the public can supply, Thompson said.

A $500 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the suspect involved in the property damages.

Information can be reported to Thompson at the MPPD.