Union Township Planning Commission to review Olive Garden site plan Wednesday

The process for bringing a new Italian restaurant to Union Township is underway.

On Wednesday, the Union Township Planning Commission will review the site plan for an Olive Garden in the Indian Hills Plaza, 4062 E. Bluegrass Road.

In a memo to commissioners, Zoning Administrator Woody Woodruff said he recommends approval of the project subject to conformance with fire and drain department requirements.

Woodruff said the Mount Pleasant Fire Department's letter regarding the project outlined a concern about there being no barrier between the new restaurant and the fire hydrant on the Red Lobster property.

Woodruff said he is waiting to receive a response from the drain office in review of the storm management plan.

General mall parking in the Indian Hills Plaza will be used to make up for any shortage in parking spaces.

The project was granted two variances at a Dec. 5 Zoning Board of Appeals meeting.

The first variance was a sign variance of 149 square feet for a total aggregate of 349 square feet and seven signs.

The second variance was a  30.5-foot front yard variance to allow for a 19.5-foot front yard in a highway business district.

The Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. at the Union Township Hall, 2010 S. Lincoln Road.

If approved, Olive Garden would present direct competition to the popular Italian Oven, 2336 S. Mission St. Fazoli's, a more casual Italian restaurant, closed its Mount Pleasant store in December after 15 years.