Union Twp. budget to be spend $450,000 on roads, sidewalks

Union Township's roads and sidewalks will be given upgrades this year as $450,000 will go toward several projects.

The approved 2013 budget remains fairly consistent from 2012, at just under $8.4 million.

This budget covers all funds, including water and sewer. The general fund sits at just under $1.55 million, up $100,000 from 2012.

A portion of the general budget this year will go toward the construction of sidewalks and roads, township manager Brian Smith said.

“Right now, we have $100,000 for sidewalks and $350,000 for roads and street projects,” he said.

Sidewalks will be added to a portion of Bluegrass Road and will also be added near the shopping center on Isabella Road by Encore Blvd.

Although the township would have liked to complete the sidewalks in 2012, the project was pushed to 2013 because of numerous issues. Smith said new sidewalks are vital to public safety.

“It’s been a little more complicated than what we were planning on, so it had to be pushed back,” he said. “The board realizes there’s a lot of safety issues there.”

The main roads that will be worked on are Deerfield Road, between Mission and Crawford roads, and Broadway St., which received funds for the stretch from Isabella Road to the U.S. 127 overpass.

Smith said construction on the sidewalks will begin in spring or summer, as well as construction on Deerfield Road, pending funds.

Adoption of the budget took place Dec. 20, 2012.