UPDATED: Associate VP for diversity candidates chosen, director of diversity education search to reopen this spring

Editor's note: This story has been rewritten to correct an error in the original story, published in Friday's newspaper, and to reflect the presence of two positions within the Office for Institutional Diversity.  

Two finalists have been selected for the associate vice president for institutional diversity position at Central Michigan University.

Traci Guinn, interim associate vice president for institutional diversity at CMU, and Lawrence Burnley, assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations and assistant professor of history at Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash., have been selected.

According to the job description, the associate vice president for institutional diversity is responsible for providing strong, visible leadership to plan and implement diversity efforts at the university.

Responsibilities also include providing leadership and education to promote a climate conducive to the expansion of diversity, overseeing a number of offices relating to diversity on campus and collaborating with administrative, academic and student leaders to implement diversity projects.

Following university protocol and procedures, Pam Gates, dean of the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences, said the two candidates will undergo a series of interviews and hold public forums for the position.

Forums for Guinn and Burnley will take place Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. Both forums will be held from 2 until 2:50 p.m. in the Lake Superior Room of the Bovee University Center.

Traci Guinn took over the interim associate vice president for institutional diversity position after the resignation of associate vice president Denise Green. Green announced her resignation from the position in June 2012.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Green's planned resignation was a precursor to her accepting a similar position at Ryerson University in Toronto.

The director of diversity education position is also open.

According to the job description, the director of diversity education will help create an accepting atmosphere for diversity at the university by educating faculty and students and assist in fulfilling the diversity goals at CMU.

The search for a candidate has not yet started. It is set to begin at a later date in spring 2013.

Efforts to fill the director of educational diversity position occurred in October 2012 when three finalists were chosen. None of these finalists were selected for the job, Guinn said, because they believed these candidates were not the right fit for the job.