Borrelli says last home meet of season will be a 'special moment' for seniors

thoresen_wrestlingvkentstate_01
Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer Senior 125-pounder Christian Cullinan beat Kent State's Steve Mitcheff in a 1-0 decision Sunday afternoon at McGuirk Arena. CMU beat Kent State 27-8.

No. 12 wrestling will have its last conference dual of the season at 7 p.m. Friday against Eastern Michigan.

The Chippewas, in their past two home duals, have outscored their competition in team points, 52-14. The team is riding a five-dual win streak that dates back to Jan. 12 when it lost to Virginia, 20-13, at the Virginia Duals before beating Edinboro, 25-10.

Two of those five-dual wins came against top-20-ranked opponents (No. 16 Edinboro and at No. 7 Missouri).

“We definitely have confidence right now, but we're not worried about wins and losses," said senior 125-pounder Christian Cullinan. "We're just focused on getting ready for the MAC and NCAA tournaments."

This dual will also be the last time six seniors on the team will wrestle at home in a CMU singlet. Five of the six seniors have wrestled for the Chippewas the last four years and heavyweight Jarod Trice for five years, due to his Olympic Year redshirt.

“It will be a special moment for our seniors," said head coach Tom Borrelli. "It’s important they get to compete in front of the home crowd."

So far this season, in MAC duals, CMU has outscored its conference foes, 98-39, with a 4-0 record and a share of the regular-season MAC title. But if the Chippewas get a win in today’s dual, the team could win the title outright, which would be the team’s 13th consecutive MAC regular-season title.

“I think if we compete, we will win MAC regular-season title," Borrelli said. "Which was a goal of ours, and then we can get ready for the MAC tournament."

The seniors on the team have an unblemished record against the Eagles in their wrestling careers at CMU.

“It gives you confidence to beat someone consistently,” Cullinan said.

This upcoming dual will also be unique because No. 21 gymnastics will be hosting Northern Illinois at the same time in McGuirk Arena as the dual.

Following this home dual, the Chippewas will hit the road for the rest of the season, with the first three duals taking place in California.

Then the team will finish up the season in East Lansing against the Spartans before the MAC and NCAA tournaments start March 10 in Buffalo, N.Y., and nationals March 21-23 in Des Moines, Iowa.