Central Alert reports armed robbery at gas station on High and Adams streets, third robbery of weekend

021613_NEWS_ROBBERY_JMS
Jeffrey Smith/Staff Photographer Mount Pleasant Police Officers investigate an armed robbery that took place shortly after 12:20 p.m. Saturday at Advance America, 1717 S. Mission Street.

The third in a string of armed robberies over the past two days was reported at a gas station at the corner of High and Adams streets.

At 4:53 p.m., a Central Alert reported a male subject with a handgun stole $200 before leaving the area on foot.

The Mount Pleasant Police Department said in a news release that this most recent robbery might be connected to the two that happened Saturday.

"Due to the similarities of the recent robberies, we believe they could be related," the release reads.

The robbery occurred at the Next Door Food Store, 1324 W. High St., a Marathon gas station, off the intersection of Adams Street next to an Isabella Bank.

“There was a guy who came in with dark clothes, picked up an item like he was going to buy it and presented a handgun,” Mount Pleasant Police Department Detective David Sabuda said at the scene.

ArmedRobbery_JMS2
Jeffrey Smith/Staff Photographer A Michigan State Police K9 unit investigates the scene of an armed robbery that occurred at approximately 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the Next Door Food Store and Marathon, 1324 W High Street.

Police urge anyone with information to contact Central Dispatch at 989-773-1000, and if anyone wishes to be report anonymously, they can call the Mount Pleasant Tip Line at 989-779-9111.

The suspect is described as a Hispanic male wearing black sunglasses, a black knit hat and a black coat.

Those who observe the subject are advised not to approach him and to contact police.

Mount Pleasant Police Department, Michigan State Police, the Tribal Police and CMU Police were on scene for collaboration.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, police roped off a Mission Street check cashing store following another armed robbery that occurred Saturday around 12:22 p.m.

A male subject committed the robbery at Advance America, 1717 Suite B S. Mission St.

Tess Hartshorn, assistant manager of the Salvation Army Thrift Store next door, 1717 S. Mission St., was walking by when the robbery occurred.

Hartshorn said she was in the Family Dollar on the other side of the check cashing store when a female employee ran over saying she was robbed.

“The owner was pounding on the window and said they were just robbed,” Hartshorn said. “I literally had to be within seconds of him being there.”

According to police, the suspect entered the building and took an undisclosed amount of money after showing a handgun. He fled north on foot afterward.

He is described as a Hispanic or white male who is roughly 30-years-old. He is approximately 5 feet 9 inches tall with a medium build, wearing black sunglasses. Again, police have said to not approach the subject and to call Central Dispatch at 989-773-1000 or the Mount Pleasant Tip Line at 989-779-9111 with any information.

The MPPD said in a news release it has no reason as of now to believe this incident is related to the other armed robbery that occurred on Saturday.

“At this time, we have no reason to believe that our community is at risk,” the release said.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, a male suspect entered the Next Door Food Store, 2025 E. Remus Road, holding a firearm and demanded money from the cashier at approximately 12:05 a.m.

Upon receiving money, the suspect left the area in an unknown vehicle.

The suspect is described as a possibly white male with a dark complexion. He was wearing a dark coat with possible denim jeans. He is clean-shaven with dark, short hair.

The vehicle is described as possibly a dark-colored, newer vehicle with a silver color front grill with lettering. The make and model are unknown.

The investigation is ongoing.

It was also the third armed robbery in the city this month. An armed robbery occurred Feb. 2 at the corner of Main and May streets, just north of campus.

Senior reporter Shelby Miller contributed to this report.

Check back with cm-life.com for updates on this developing story.