CMU fills positions in diversity and admissions departments

Central Michigan University chose today a new associate vice president for institutional diversity and director of admissions.

Provost Gary Shapiro approved the hiring of Lawrence Burnley for the next associate vice president for institutional diversity, according to a news release. Burnley is set to take his position as soon as July 1  with an annual salary of $121,500.

“Burnley currently serves as assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations and assistant professor of history at Whitworth University,” the release said. “He holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Education from the University of Pennsylvania, a Master of Divinity degree from Christian Theological Seminary and a Bachelor’s degree in African-American Studies from the University of Cincinnati.”

According to the news release, the new assistant vice president for diversity was also an associate dean for multicultural programs and special assistant to the provost for diversity affairs at Messiah College, executive for racial/ethnic relations for the Global Ministries of the Christian Church and the United Church of Christ in Cleveland and director of the Greenfield Intercultural Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

Some of the responsibilities that come with the position include providing leadership to plan and implement diversity efforts and initiate diversity efforts related to curricular programs.

Burnley will also be promoting a climate-conducive to the expansion of diversity, preparing and submitting grants to support diversity efforts, creating mechanisms to encourage input, participation and support of directly affected groups while providing leadership for a variety of offices tasked with institutional diversity initiatives.

Vice President of Enrollment and Student Services Steven Johnson revealed the hiring of Thomas Speakman, the new director of admissions.

Speakman will take his position on March 25 and will earn an annual salary of $110,000.

Speakman holds a Doctor of Education degree from Widener University, a Master of Education degree from Colorado State University and a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education from Bloomsburg University.

“Speakman has significant admissions and enrollment management experience having previously held the positions of dean of enrollment services at Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania and director of enrollment management at Penn State Lehigh Valley,” the release said.

As the new director of admissions, Speakman will tackle declining enrollment numbers and will be responsible for the on-campus, undergraduate admissions operations to pinpoint enrollment numbers.